Monday, September 30, 2013

My Take on Firing Kiffin

It was time.  Personally, I wouldn't have allowed Lane Kiffin to coach another down after the Washington State game, but I also have to admit that I did not want a change after last season.  I may have been one of the few, but I loved his recruiting style with quality over quantity, even when quantity wasn't available.  All-time, I would bet that Kiffin ranks in the top 3 best recruiters rated by the scouting websites.  Lane vividly proved once and for all that fantastic recruiting pales in comparison to sub-par coaching.  We all knew his days were numbered once the Coliseum turned on him, so it couldn't have come as much of a shock.  I saw the defense quit during the 3rd quarter of the ASU debacle, and I'm just happy Haden saw the same thing.

Listening to the possible coaching candidates on the TV or the radio is worse than listening to NBA trade talk.  DP compared it to blindfolded darts.  I've already said that I think Herm Edwards is going to get the gig from the whispers around the hallways.  I was in Dallas a few weeks ago, and those delusional nitwits are talking about Nick Saban - like an offer from Texas would do anything except increase his current salary at Bama.  Why would he move laterally? Why would he leave the SEC with its cushy schedules?  For these and many other reasons, I believe Saban is a non-starter for anywhere put a possible pro team.  Here is my list in order, given what I've heard and what I think is objectively possible.

1. Herm Edwards
2. Chris Peterson
3. Pat Fitzgerald
4. Steve Sarkisian
5. Kliff Kingsbury

Everyone wants a homerun, but I think Chris Peterson is the only one on this list that qualifies according to the media.  Kingsbury will be a homerun in 4 or 5 years, it's just a little too early for him.  I've always like Pat Fitzgerald, but he is definitely the least flashy name on this list.  Sark for obvious reasons, but I think Haden wants to waive goodbye to the Pete Carroll coaching tree for the remainder of his administration.  I don't think a new coach will be announced until after the UCLA game, but you never know.  Hopefully Ed O and Pendergast can fire the boys up during this bye week.  I heard that the team took the news of Kiffin's firing "surprisingly well," which says a lot to me.  Here is how the head coach of a football team is supposed to sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment