Monday, November 25, 2013

Money > Rings


So the Lakers just signed Kobe to a $48M contract extension, $23.5M next year and $25M the following year.  From my perspective, he essentially chose money over rings.  I just can't wrap my head around Kobe's mindset.  I don't know if he is worried about his post-injury production and decided to preemptively get paid.  I don't know if his ego will not let him be anything but the highest paid player.  I don't know if he is worried about the impending divorce on the horizon.  I don't know why MJ, Tim Duncan, KG, Dirk, etc. were willing to take pay cuts for rings but Kobe isn't.  I don't know how he thinks he can win another ring without having the cap room to get the help.  I don't know if it's Obama's fault and Kobe hates only taking home $10.6M of his $24.4M salary.  And I really don't know if Kobe will be productive enough to pay for this outrageously expensive farewell tour. 

What I do know is that the Lakers dug themselves a pretty big hole today.  As a buddy said to me today, "The Lakers are now destined to be the worst thing you can be in the NBA -- Mediocre."  On the bright side, Kobe will now for certain be a Laker for life.  I know Paul Pierce wishes he got this kind of treatment in Boston.  As Deadspin pointed out - Kobe is overtaking Joe Johnson & Amar'e Stoudamire on the highest-paid list, so maybe he really does deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment