Thursday, November 21, 2013

Tiger Woods Stanford Recruiting Letter


Here is the letter that Tiger Woods received from the Stanford golf coach in March of 1989.  From my perspective, the most startling part of the letter is the date.  Tiger was just barely 13 years old when he received this letter.  I know recruiting starts much earlier now, but this was the 1980's.  I bet Tiger was the youngest player Wally Goodwin ever sent a recruiting letter by 3 or 4 years.  Some other interesting takeaways were that Stanford cares more about verbal than math, and freshman year of high school grades don't matter.  I doubt that is still the case, but either way Stanford will probably see this as bad press. Laying out the bare minimum prerequisites for "athletes to get a bit of a break" is not always the best look.  And lastly, that comment about more national championships is only true if you count women's sports.  We all know that is a joke, and thus USC has 21 more men's national championships than Stanford.  Nice try though.

P.S.  I took one lesson from Tom Sargent when I was younger, and I told my Dad that I didn't like him.  I think my Dad was happy because he was $60/hour.  My guess is Tiger got a better rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment